iCulture forum | iPhone, iPad,  iPod touch, Apple TV en iOS

iCulture forum | iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV en iOS (https://forum.iculture.nl/)
-   iCloud (https://forum.iculture.nl/f147/icloud/f148/icloud/)
-   -   Apple ID and the misfortune of tight security. (https://forum.iculture.nl/f147/icloud/f148/icloud/171023-apple-id-and-the-misfortune-tight-security.html)

rooftops 15-02-16 18:47

Apple ID and the misfortune of tight security.

Hello fellow Applers,

(I hope you don't mind this being in English)

I write this from my new Apple ID, hooray - I have a NEW Apple ID.

Want to know why?

Because I got hacked, by some dude from China, and Apple can't do anything about it.
Because this dude changed my ID, my Password and my security questions, and apparently Apple support needs 2 verification points to make sure that it is me who is the rightful owner of this "hacked" Apple ID.
Now, I appreciate the tightness of Apple's security. This is beautiful, this is what you want from a company - they actually secure your account from hackers! But they also secure your account from yourself. Seeing that at this point, in Apple's eyes, I might be the hacker.

It is a nice thought that your account is being secured as good as possible from threats that might be seen as hacking, but it also sucks that this tightness prevents me from getting to my Apple ID, the Apple ID I had for at least 6-7 years now. The Apple ID I've put tons of money in buying apps, music, books and even movies.
Apple Support said: I'm sorry we cannot do anything right now, you will have to make a new Apple ID. My response: but what about all the money I've spent on this Apple ID, what happens to that? Apple: You will just need to buy everything back then, because we cannot help you with that - all of that is gone.

I'm super stumped about this, so yeah now I've made a new Apple ID and posting this on here (pissed off while typing, if you didn't already catch that) to see if any of you have had the same problem, or something similar to it.

If so, how have you handled it? Did you by any miracle recover your old Apple ID? Or did Apple save you some money by returning all of your purchases? I'd love to read what happend to you guys, it might calm me down a little bit lol

(Since I didn't know if this would fit in with the iCloud thread, I just put it here in the hope that if it would violate any of the forum rules, it would be moved to another category)

iPhoneAlot 16-02-16 05:41

If your Apple ID is based on an email address you can prove you've had for years then you have a fighting chance, if not your chances are bleak. I've read about cases where vengeful ex partners changed passwords out of spite. These usually get resolved.
If I understand this correctly this 'dude' cannot change your Apple ID, but he can use it with a new password. Your entire history at Apple is linked to that ID, so if you can show you've purchased an iDevice in the past using that ID, you make a good case.
Good luck with your predicament!

XIII 16-02-16 10:53

How do you know for sure that "some dude from China" hacked you?

iPhoneAlot 16-02-16 11:22

On further reflection: why would a hacker present himself at Apple with the same questions? The hacker has what you no longer have: access. Rereading your post there are things that give rise to suspicion. It would be natural for you to have used the elements I suggested earlier. If you didn't I understand Apple's caution. You can just as easily be someone who wants to reset an ID you don't own!

trimix 17-02-16 19:31

you can do a icloud reset password because the password reset link is send to a other email adres this is NOT the same as your apple id
or the hacker has acces to your apple id and your email adres where the password reset is send to ?
if do a password reset you can take over your old apple id because you did change the password and if he use your apple id it will ask him again to login which he cant because you made a new password

just login at www.icloud.com put in your old apple id put in serveral times wrong password so your apple id will get blocked then send recover password and the link will be send to the email account which is different from your apple id

rooftops 18-04-16 17:51

I would like to thank you all for your replies, I've read them and tried to apply them all but none of them worked. Unfortunately, I've lost my ID for good.

Sorry for the late reply.

Alle tijden zijn GMT +2. Het is nu 20:01.