iCulture forum | iPhone, iPad,  iPod touch, Apple TV en iOS

iCulture forum | iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV en iOS (https://forum.iculture.nl/)
-   iPhone algemeen (https://forum.iculture.nl/f28/iphone/f32/iphone-algemeen/)
-   -   Herstellen met iTunes niet mogelijk na remote wipe (https://forum.iculture.nl/f28/iphone/f32/iphone-algemeen/136113-herstellen-itunes-niet-mogelijk-na-remote-wipe.html)

massi88 01-03-13 15:09

Herstellen met iTunes niet mogelijk na remote wipe

First of all, sorry if this is not posted in the right place, but I don't know where to place it at first sight...

So here's my situation:

I have an iPhone 3GS (iOS 5.0.1), untethered jailbreak with Absinthe (but never saved my SHSH blobs).

Now, about month ago, I lost my iPhone and I deleted all data on the phone using "Find my iPhone". About a week ago, the "honest" finder of my iPhone returned the phone to me. Because I deleted all data on the phone, it is now in recovery mode.

When I try to restore the phone using iTunes, it obviously doesn’t grant me permission to do it, because it has been jailbroken. Now I searched for all over the web how to reinstall the devices’ firmware without needing the SHSH blobs, and found quite a lot of tools to do this. Only there is one major problem: the device needs to be in DFU-mode.

I’m aware that there are dozens of tools and tutorials online to put the phone in DFU mode, but they’re always focused on devices in a working state. My major problem is: I first need to switch of the phone and turn it back on in order to be able to put it in DFU. I tried to kick it out of recovery mode using TinyUmbrella without success, I tried the procedures on iFaith with also no success.

Now here comes the tricky part; because the phone is in recovery mode, I cannot hit the power button and slide to shut down the phone… this is simply not possible anymore. Neither if I link the phone on a power cord, nor if I link it to my PC with USB. It just starts up, shows the apple logo and then shows that it’s in recovery mode.

So now I’m actually stuck and I really have no clue how I can get it into DFU mode to install a standard .ipsw file. I already tried to modify an .ipsw file to bypass the recovery loop (HOW TO: Put The iPhone In DFU Mode And Jailbreak, Even If Your Home Or Power Button Is Broken) but without success.

I really don’t care about recovering the data on my iPhone, I just want to be able to install firmware and get it back into a working state. Can anyone advise me on whether I can ever use this phone again, or if its bound to end in the trashcan? It just sucks spending 800 EUR on a new iPhone if you know that the one you have should still work perfectly. Your help would be greatly appreciated guys!

wouter1981 01-03-13 15:11

Why not recover with iTunes and install the latest firmware? You can still jailbreak iOS 6.1.2 with evasi0n I believe.

massi88 01-03-13 15:13

Hi Wouter,

That's not possible since it was jailbroken. It gives errorcode 3014 when I try to restore using iTunes.

wouter1981 01-03-13 15:15

You should be able to restore with iTunes. If not, that's not the result of the jailbreak.

Error 3014:
- Bad hosts file. The SHSH request couldn't be completed. No connection to the Apple Server, Cydia Server or localhost (for TinyUmbrella).
- iTunes can't connect to gs.apple.com. Maybe Port 80 and Port 443 is blocked. Open it on your router.

(source: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/ITunes_Errors#Errors_30xx)

massi88 01-03-13 15:20

So do I understand it right? Even if my device was jailbroken before I swept all data off it (with "find my iphone")... I should still be able to install the latest firmware with iTunes at this point?

wouter1981 01-03-13 15:30

Of course. You do have to fix your hosts file probably. There is enough on that to find on this forum.

You don't have to unlock your iPhone I presume?

massi88 01-03-13 15:46

Indeed, it wasn't unlocked when I bought it, so I assume that's not necessary now either.
I already tried to edit the host file as administrator before and put "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" in the list, but also without result. However I haven't tried this complete instruction yet (How to Edit Hosts file and Restore your iPhone with your Saved ECID ~ iPhone iOS, Tweaks and iOS Apps). Do you think it could contain critical steps that I haven't performed?

Guest-20180925190238 01-03-13 15:49

Citaat:

Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door massi88 (Bericht 882423)
I already tried to edit the host file as administrator before and put "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" in the list, but also without result.

And that line wil reroute gs.apple.com to Cydia causing iTunes errors 3194, 3014, 16xx, etc... during a restore or update.

massi88 01-03-13 15:52

Well, the first thing I've done when I got my iPhone back, was try to restore it in iTunes. At that point, I didn’t make any changes to the hosts-file yet, and it also didn’t work. So if I set the hosts file back to its original state (so just gs.apple.com) ... It still won't work, or am I missing something?

Guest-20180925190238 01-03-13 15:55

Citaat:

Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door massi88 (Bericht 882426)
So if I set the hosts file back to its original state (so just gs.apple.com) ... It still won't work, or am I missing something?

There should be no gs.apple.com entry at all in a hosts file. In Windows a clean hosts file consist only of lines starting with a #, which are comment lines.

wouter1981 01-03-13 15:55

Have you tried this: How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default?

massi88 01-03-13 15:58

I'll try this first and then get back to you guys. Thanks already for your prompt feedback.

massi88 01-03-13 18:26

So I restored the original hostfile. Instead of the previous errors, I now get error code 21. SO if I interpret it well (see iphonewiki), the phone needs to be set to DFU mode afterall? I tried disabling my virusscanner Avira but no success...

Guest-20180925190238 01-03-13 18:31

Just to be sure that we are on the same sheet of music. Which firmware version are you attempting to restore?

Before restoring with iTunes also shutdown all virus scanners, firewalls, defenders, etc... etc...

massi88 01-03-13 20:35

I tried to install the latest firmware when I did the recovery process. That's when I got error 21. Now I also tried shutting off all antivirus programs... Still same error. When I jailbreaked it, it was on 5.0.1

XIII 01-03-13 20:42

OT: Why is the title of this topic in Dutch, but the discussion in English?

massi88 01-03-13 20:46

Mod changed it.

massi88 04-03-13 22:28

Does anyone have any advice on what to do here? Still stuck... when I try to restore to 5.0.1, it gives error 3194... If I simply let it update the latest version I get error 21 (with all antivirus shut off!)

Alle tijden zijn GMT +2. Het is nu 07:30.